Monday, April 9, 2012

Word Counts and Strap-Ons


Yesterday, I finished chapter 4 of the still unnamed sequel to “Special Offers”.  It’s going well, but it is not easy to carve out time to write when you have a full-time job, a husband, a kid and a house to clean.  Also, I play soccer on 2 different women’s teams, so that takes up a few hours twice a week.  And I can't give that up; it is great exercise and I get to freely utilize my propensity for swearing and sexual double-entendre without worrying about remaining work-appropriate.  And as an added bonus, the conversations and random ridiculousness on the sidelines before and after the games can be both informative and hilarious.  For example, I had no idea that sometimes lesbian couples utilize a strap-on during sex (informative),  and it is highly recommended to take it off the back of the bathroom door before one's parent comes to visit (hilarious).

I keep reading the tweets from full-time authors who post about completing 2500 or 3000 words a day and it makes me feel like a slacker even though I know they have a lot more time available to work on their books.  I try to write every day, even if it is for a very short time.  During the week, when I can only write in the evening, on a productive day I usually can write about 500 words (of course, sometimes I toil for hours over a couple of paragraphs).  I get more accomplished on the weekends, but it is hard to fit everything in that needs to get done.  I wish I had one of those time thingies that Hermione Granger had in one of the Harry Potter books that let her be in two places as once.  Or a clone. Maybe I'll get to work on that in the lab today...

No comments:

Post a Comment